Woodhall House... 1858-1959
by Cliff Beevers

The dower house to Woodhall House became the manse to St Margaret's Church up to about 1950

Sir James Liston Foulis, as the ninth baronet of Colinton inherited Woodhall in 1858 and he continued to let the property to a series of tenants until his death in 1895. William Liston Foulis took over the house but did not live there, dying unmarried in 1918. Charles Liston Foulis then inherited the Woodhall estates from his brother. He spent most of his life in Africa. Charles fought in both the Boer War and the First World War.

George Eric Glendining bought the house in 1931. He was a farmer from Rossshire with sheep farms in Kirkhouse Traquair. He sold it to Professor Stanley Davidson in 1938.

Stanley Patrick Davidson born 1894 was educated at Cheltenham and Trinity College Cambridge. His studies were interrupted by the First World War. He came up to Edinburgh University and gained a First Class Honours in 1919. He was Professor of Bacteriology and for two years was house physician at Leith Hospital and the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. He worked very hard and his health deteriorated so he was advised to leave Britain to avoid the Scottish Winters. He spent the cold months in New Zealand. In 1921 he became a member of the royal College of Surgeons and gained a Gold Medal for his work in 1926. He was President of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh from 1953 to 1957. He retired in 1959 and Woodhall House was sold again.